Ursinus Center for Advocacy, Responsibility and Engagement
One-Time Service Events
- Alternate Spring Break
- Student run organization that sponsors community service trips to various locations across the country. A fun way to spend spring break!
- Wismer on Wheels
- A program that collects leftover food from Wismer after lunch and dinner each weekday (Monday through Friday 1:30pm lunch and 7pm dinner). Leftover food is stroed in aluminum pans in the Wismer refrigerator to then be delivered to nearby shelters and soup kitchens three times a week.
- Habitat for Humanity
- This group works on housing development throughout the year and are always looking for helping hands.
- UC Organic Garden
- The garden projects goals are several-fold, and include providing the Ursinus community with the opportunity to participate in organic gardening activities as a community-building exercise, providing food to the Ursinus food service operations to use in the preparation of meals in the dining hall, and providing an outdoor agricultural experimental field site for students and faculty interested in using it in this fashion. For more information, contact Julia Bull '11
- Colleges Against Cancer
- Promotes cancer awareness and advocacy on campus and raises funds for the American Cancer Society through the "UC goes Pink" and the Relay for Life.
- Relay for Life
- Camp out and walk/run to raise money for the American Cancer Society and the fight against cancer.
- Perkiomen Watershed Conservancy
- Volunteer for the annual stream clean up and several of the conservation projects that are posted on their web site on an ongoing basis. For more information, contact Andrew Feick (http://www.perkiomenwatershed.org/)
- Fellowship Farm
- Fellowship Farm is an educational leader in the field of human relations. We are one of the nation's oldest education and retreat centers dedicated to leadership development and social change. Through our custom designed education programs, we offer our partners the vision and skills they need to transform their communities. (http://www.fellowshipfarm.org/)
- National History Day
- Student volunteers help to set up for NHD the day before (signs, tables in the gym, carry and unpack boxes, etc.) and then serve as registration assistants, “crowd control” managers, and cleanup crew on the day itself. For more information, contact Ross Doughty
- Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF
- Organizations can collect change for UNICEF. Contact Bridget Resetco.
- MANNA - The Metropolitan Area Neighborhood Nutrition Alliance
- Prepares and delivers meals to people with life-threatening illnesses in the Delaware Valley. Click here for more!
- Catholic Social Services – Meal Service Team
- Preparing and giving out food boxes, cooking meals, 24 hour famine, Soup Kitchen and Food Bank volunteer opportunities (http://www.familyservices-phl.org/montgomerycountry.html)
- Columbia Cottage Nursing Home
- Owned and operated by Horst Group in Lancaster, PA with the purpose of being a built assisted living community that offers a small, homey, intimate feel and excels in providing levels of care in comfortable surroundings.( http://www.columbiacottages.com/)
- Philadelphia Cares
- Supports the creation of vibrant communities by motivating people to volunteer their time, talents, and resources. Many one-time service projects are available. Click here for more!
Recent Notable Service Events
- UC Ambassadors
- This past year they were involved in building a playground down Main Street and creating recreational space in a nearby park for children and their parents. In the past, they have also organized canned food drives.
- 30-Hour Famine
- Join Intervarsity Christian Fellowship in giving up food for 30 hours, and share in the experience of one billion people in our world.
- Helping Hands Across America
- Can donation drive oustide of Wismer. The cans will go to families in Norristown, where there has been a spike in food requests this year. The collection is a part of Sodexo’s effort to set a Guinness World.
- Winter Ball at the Berman - V-Day Benefit
- Sponsored by the Art Exhibitionists to promote awareness of V-Day and Violence against Women.
V-Day is a global movement to stop violence against women and girls. V-Day is a catalyst that promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money and revitalize the spirit of existing anti-violence organizations. V-Day generates broader attention for the fight to stop violence against women and girls, including rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation (FGM) and sexual slavery
- Adopt-a-Family/UCARE Giving Tree
- Over 80 groups, including clubs, greek organizations, sports teams and departments, helped make a child's wish list come true for the 2010-2011 holiday season. We found children in need and matched them with these groups.
- An Evening of Art and Music - Haiti Benefit
- “An Evening of Art and Music,” Berman Museum: Poetry, music, dance and more! Benefits Haiti and Togo!
- Annual Airband Concert coordinated by Residence Life. In 2009, all proceeds of the concert benefited the Friendship House in nearby Pottstown. Founded in 1871, Friendship House is among the oldest and largest children’s mental health and child welfare organizations serving Eastern Pennsylvania.
- Blood: Water Mission
- Raised $2,000 for the Blood: Water Mission. Participants were challenged to only drink water for ten days and donate money saved. 300 participatns from campus and community
Coordinator of the Bonner Leader Program
Asssitant Director of UCARE
Assistant Coordinator of the Bonner Leader Program
UCARE Service Fellows
Elizabeth Cannon ('10)
Ryan Collins ('10)
Jess Devaul ('10)