student employment - chemistry department
Laboratory Teaching Assistant
The principal role of the laboratory assistant in Chemistry is to support the instructor by actively patrolling the lab to help students work safely and efficiently. The assistant also answers questions relating to laboratory protocols and to theory underlying the experimentation; replenishes equipment and supplies as needed; ensures that waste chemicals are disposed of properly; and assists students in keeping laboratory clean, safe, and organized. He or she is expected to understand the experimental work being done and to attend the pre-lab lecture. At the discretion of the instructor, the assistant may also grade lab reports and quizzes.
At the time you file a formal application, it is important that you also notify the department that you are applying for a position indicating your preferences for day, morning, or afternoon and course(s). We will attempt to honor your preferences, but that is not always possible. If your schedule changes after you have filed an application, please notify the department as soon as possible.
Student Assistant needed in Pfahler Hall during the academic year to assist the Administrative Assistant and Faculty in the Departments of Chemistry, Mathematics & Computer Science, Environmental Studies, and Physics & Astronomy.
Duties will include basic office procedures such as:
• Word processing, data entry, assembling spreadsheets
• Filing, photocopying, scanning, shredding
• Delivery and pick-up of items for the departments as needed
• Taking inventory of department supplies
• Aiding the support staff in a variety of functions including event coordination.
Prior office experience is a plus. Number of hours each semester 30-32 hrs.
• Basic computer skills
• Dependable and punctual
• Detail oriented
• Good organizational skills
• Ability to work with a variety of faculty and staff
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to work independently as well as under supervision
Safety Shower and Eye-Wash Checker
Running the safety shower and eye washers in the chemistry labs
Checking to see that the flow is continuous.
Disposing of collected water and wiping up spilled water.
Documenting each shower and eye washer that was tested.
Familiarity with chemistry labs a plus.
8-10 hours per month.