Please read through this contract and scroll to the bottom to register and pay.
Becoming a member:
Any Ursinus Student, Faculty, or Staff member can become a member.
Follow these steps to become a registered member of the UC Bikeshare:
- Our membership fees are payable through PayPal: to do this you will need either a credit, debit card, or paypal account. The membership fee is $10 per year, beginning when you sign up and ending June 30th.
- Upon completion of the registration form and payment, a grace period of 24 hours should be given to the Office of Sustainability prior to checking out a bike.
- If you are under 18, you will need to have your parent sign the Bikeshare contract for you. You can do this by making individual arrangements with Office of Sustainability staff: email us at UCBikeshare@ursinus.edu.
Procedure for taking out a bike (all bikes must be checked out at Ursinus College’s Campus Safety Office):
- Give the dispatcher at the safety desk your Ursinus ID and tell them what bike you want. They will scan your ID, and assign your desired bike number to you. Bikes #1, 3, 4, 5, 11 and 14 are medium height (15”-16’’) and Bikes #2, 6-10, 12, 13, 15, and 17 are tall height (17”-18”).
- Locate the correct bike on the bike rack to the right of the Upper Wismer entrance. Before taking out the bike, make sure the bike is in good condition and that the tires are properly inflated. Record any damages to the campus safety dispatcher before you take the bike out. Riders are responsible for equipment damage beyond reasonable wear and tear.
- Use the bike for your leisure. Always lock the bike when it is not in use.
- When returning the bike, please bring the bike to the door outside campus safety to allow dispatchers to see the bike. Bring the key and your ID into the campus safety office. Give the dispatcher your ID and the key. Your ID will be scanned, and the bike will be returned.
- Promptly return the bike to the properly numbered space on the UCBikeshare rack, and make sure to lock the bike securely to the rac. DO NOT LOCK A BIKE TO ANOTHER BIKE. Locks will lock back up without the need for a key.
- Bikes are available from dawn to dusk (dusk is understood as susnet. Check HERE for sunset times). When you sign out a bike, you must return it to Campus Safety before susnet. If it is not returned in this period, you will be sent an email informing you of the charged late fine.
UC Bikeshare Member Contract
2012-13 Fiscal Year (ending June 30, 2013)
- Bikeshare memberships are good for the current fiscal year (July 1-June 30).
- All Bikeshare members are automatically added to the Bikeshare e-mailing list. Member updates and notifications will be sent to this list.
- Bikes are available for use between sunrise and sunset (Check HERE for sunset times). Bikes are not available during hazardous weather conditions, including snow and ice conditions.
- Bikes are available from dawn to dusk. When you sign out a bike, you must return it to Campus Safety before the aforementioned time. If it is not returned in this period, you will be sent an email informing you of the charged late fine. All extensions must be granted prior to checking out the bike.
- Once you sign out the bike, you are responsible for any and all parts of the bike, including the lock and key. You will be responsible for the replacement cost (at full retail value) of the equipment if not returned or if damaged beyond reasonable wear and tear. If you see any damage on the bike before you take it out, note that in the sign out log prior to taking it out. The cost to replace a lost key is $25. The cost to replace a lost lock is $25.
- Reservations: Bikes can be reserved for academic reasons Monday through Thursday. This means that there may be certain times/days that the bikes will not be in use due to prior reservation of the bikes. A notification email will be sent to all Bikeshare users warning them of these particular dates throughout the semester. Bikes are not available for reservations Friday - Sunday, due to demand. All users must be Bikeshare members to use the bikes. Please plan accordingly.
- You may not take out the bike if under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Since cycling fits under the commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s definition of a vehicle, cycling while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is unlawful.
Fees and Fines:
- Membership Fee: $10/year
- Late Return Fine: $10 for each hour it is late; after a 24 hour period the fee increases to $50/each day the bike is late
- Lost Key Replacement Fine: $25/incident
- Lost Lock Replacement Fine: $25/incident
- Replacement of Bike: market price for new bicycle of similar specs. (typically $500-$800)
I agree to assume the risk that unexpected events may occur and result in loss, harm, injury, or illness to me or damage to my or others’ property while I am participating in this activity. I hereby agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless Ursinus College, UC Bikeshare, its sponsors, employees, volunteers, affiliates, officers, agents, successors and assigns, subordinates, and any other persons connected to this activity from any liability.
In the event that I require emergency medical treatment, I give my permission for evaluation, diagnoses, treatment, and/or medication in accordance with the standard medical practice by licensed medical personnel. I relieve Ursinus College and UC Bikeshare of all responsibility and consequences that may arise as a result of the performed treatment.
Bike Safety Information and Suggestions:
- Cycling fits under the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s definition of a vehicle. Read about PA’s bike laws atwww.dot.state.pa.us/bike/web/docs/PAbikelaws.pdf .
- Bring a cell phone with you when riding in case of an emergency.
- Wear a helmet. Wearing a bicycle helmet whenever you ride can reduce your risk of a serious head injury by 85%.
- You are considered a vehicle on the road. Ride on the right side of the road in the same direction as traffic and follow the traffic signals.
- Pay attention to the weather. Riding in wet conditions requires slow speed and greater breaking distance. It also makes it harder for cars around you to stop.
- Bikeshare bikes are not available for night riding.
- If the tires seem low, pump them up before riding. There is a pump in Campus Safety.
- Bring your own water bottle for the ride – the bikes are all outfitted with water bottle holders.
The Office of Sustainability reserve the right to change the terms of this contract at any time and without prior notification.