Ursinus is nationally recognized for its excellence in biology. Our curriculum has been designed to keep pace with new developments in the field and to afford students as broad a base as possible for understanding the principles governing life processes. Coursework fosters a scientific attitude and familiarizes students with current research methods.
The goals of the Biology program are to teach/help students to develop up-to-date content knowledge plus:
- Independent learning and laboratory skills
- An appreciation for scientific ethics
- An appreciation for and the ability to use the scientific method
- Skill in making, defending or dissecting an argument or hypothesis
- Skill in writing scientific papers
- Skill in oral presentation
- Skill in reading the scientific literature and an enthusiasm for a life of learning
The faculty places a strong emphasis on helping individual students identify their strengths and develop their scientific curiosity. Students can begin research with faculty in their freshman year. Biology majors have conducted internships at zoos, hospitals, government laboratories, veterinary offices, and other facilities. Many Biology majors study abroad or student teach. It is possible to do two or more of these opportunities as a Biology major!