First Year Students
In the Fall, each incoming freshman will receive a state-of-the-art laptop computer. This personal computer will constitute a focal point for your learning experiences throughout your career at Ursinus. It will be an essential learning tool that you will frequently use regardless of your discipline or chosen major.
Ursinus launched its Laptop Computing Initiative after an extensive analysis and evaluation of the potential benefits to be gained through such an initiative. This marks the second year of the program and based upon the experiences of the first year we are pleased to say that the program has been a tremendous success. Both the faculty and administration are prepared to support this ongoing effort and to insure its continued success.
The most important benefit of laptop computing for the entire college community is that the powers of direct inquiry, exploration and dialogue are placed in the hands of teachers and learners virtually any time and any place. Collaboration and communication, between you and your professors, and among you and your fellow students, are enhanced by offering the latest technologies to facilitate these interactions.
Ursinus believes strongly in the following five advantages of campus-wide laptop computing:
- Communications: a wired campus where communication is possible virtually any time and any place.
- Community: an ethical environment where students share values, challenge ideas and arrive at collective community principles.
- Computer Competence: a functional environment where high-level e-skills are the standard for all faculty and graduates.
- Equal Access to Computing for All: a college of shared and equal means where, regardless of financial need, no one is left behind.
- Teaching & Learning Innovation: an intellectually charged environment where cutting-edge resources excite faculty and students with the newest and best educational technologies.