Then and Now Gallery

College landscape has changed over the decades. See what became of some of the locations on and around the campus.

Then Now

The Barn

Facilities

Barn Facilities

The Bookstore

The old, old bookstore stood adjacent to Ritter Hall, just out front of Patterson Field in the 1980’s and 90’s. It closed it’s doors and was removed in January 1999 with the grand opening of the new, two-story Wismer Center Bookstore. 

The Temporary Bookstore

The temporary bookstore sits on the grounds of the former bookstore. It is a mobile structure that will be removed spring 2020 as we open the doors to The Commons on Main Street. This newest building will house not only the bookstore, but a coffee shop, casual performance space, meeting rooms and the Admission Offices.

Bookstore  

The Infirmary

Bomberger Walkway

Infirmary Bomberger Hall

The Sycamore Tree in the Endzone

Patterson Field Endzone

A grove of sycamore trees was planted behind the track (out of harm’s way!) when Patterson Field was re-turfed in 2011. This was a nod to our quirky history.

SycamoreTree Patterson Field Endzone

Collegeville Station

Collegeville Diner

TrainStation Collegeville Diner

Soccer Field

 

Floy Lewis Bakes Field House

The Floy Lewis Bakes Field House, dedicated in 2001 upon the expansion and renovation of Helferich Hall in 1972, encompasses the D.L. Helfferich Hall of Health and Physical Education and the William Elliott Pool. Today, the Floy Lewis Bakes Center Field House boasts a 200-meter indoor track and plenty of room for intramurals. The indoor track sits squarely on the grounds of the old soccer field.

SoccerField indoor track

Tennis Courts

Campus Triangle

TennisCourt

BWC and lawn candid

The Drug (5th and Main)

Marzella’s Pizza

The Drug Marzellas

Prospect Terrace

 Prospect Terrace burned in 1900. As the population of women attending Ursinus College grew, so did the need for their housing. Unlike today, housing then was not coed, and women needed their own place to live. Complicating this were the financial insecurities that plagued Ursinus since its beginning and that still existed in the late nineteenth century when a dorm was needed. Because of this, it was thought that a dorm could not justifiably be built under President Bomberger.[2] Instead, women were admitted to stay in the Prospect Terrace, a building built by Benjamin A. Hunsicker in the mid-19th century and located on what is today the front lawn of the Berman Museum of Art. The housing fee was $4.00 per week for women when, in contrast, men paid $3.50 a week to live in the college’s actual dormitories in Freeland Hall, Brodbeck Hall, and Curtis Halls.

Berman Lawn

The sprawling location on the Main Street side of the Berman Museum of Art. It is situated directly across the street from the Trinity Church and is currently the campus green used for Commencement, Welcome Week, Movies on the Lawn, 150Fest, flag football intramurals and much more. It is also home to our newest sculpture, Curved Cube, by American sculptor William Crovello, that for decades stood outside the Time & Life Building, New York City.

Prospect Terrace

Alumni Memorial Library

Opened in 1923, the Alumni Memorial Library was built to commemorate the 271 Ursinus students and alumni who served in World War I and particularly the eight who died in service. The building was well known for its spacious reading room, its large windows and its walls lined with bookcases and hung with paintings. By 1969, the library housed over 88,000 volumes with books overflowing into the basement and second floor. The building closed in October 1970, following the completion of Myrin Library, and was then used as a student union building before it was remodeled as the Philip and Muriel Berman Museum of Art.

Berman Museum of Art

Ursinus College, founded in 1869, did not have a formal program or facility for the collection and display of works of art until the creation of The Philip and Muriel Berman Museum of Art. The Bermans humanized the process of collecting in the way they lived with their art: paintings and sculptures were an everyday presence throughout their home. They shared their collections with numerous institutions and believed that by exposing students to art they would make clear the importance of art to a fully lived life. The Philip and Muriel Berman Museum of Art is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. Approximately 3-4% of museums nationwide have earned this distinguished recognition.

ALUMNI MEMORIAL LIBRARY, URSINUS COLLEGE, COLLEGEVILLE, PA. Berman Museum of Art captured against, and reflecting, a baby blue sky in early September