Although the majority of BCMB students go onto careers, or graduate or professional study in biochemical, health, or molecular biology-related fields, the habits of mind and skills that students develop can be applied to a number of fields. Besides the traditional fields that many majors have pursued, graduates have gone into fields such as the law and teaching.
Immediately after graduation roughly a third of BCMB graduates go to a pre-health school, another third to graduate study in a biochemical or molecular biology-related field either in a traditional academic department or in an academic department connected to a medical school, and another third go to work in industry.
Graduates of our program have worked in a variety of companies and areas.
- Johnson Matthey
- Teach for America
- Clinical allergy technician in a doctor’s office
- Research positions at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and U of Pennsylvania
- US Patent Office
- Teaching at Norristown High School
Because the study of biochemistry and molecular biology is at the boundary of biology and chemistry, students who go onto graduate school immediately after graduation or after working for several years go into programs in a variety of departments. Students are encouraged to talk to their academic advisor, research advisor, or other faculty members to find what type of department may fit the student’s interest the best.
Examples of schools and programs that students have attended include:
- Yale University
- Johns Hopkins Immunology; Biochemistry; Pharmaceutical and Molecular Sciences; Biological Chemistry
- Arcadia University Forensic Sciences
- Cornell Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Virginia Commonwealth Structural Biology
- Maryland Cell Biology
- University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Biological and Biomedical Sciences Program (Dept of Microbiology and Immunology)
- University of Virginia
- Utah Molecular Biology
- Arkansas Chemistry
- Rutgers Chemistry
- University of Rochester Biochemistry
- Northwestern Molecular Biology
Many BCMB students are interested in pre-health fields as many of the classes overlap. Besides having a BCMB academic advisor, students have a pre-health advisor.
Examples of programs that our students have attended include:
- Johns Hopkins
- Wake Forest
- Temple Dental