Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Requirements
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BCMB) is an interdisciplinary major that includes courses in biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics. Students pursuing this major will explore the chemical interactions that underlie life’s diversity. Courses in the major will cover the theoretical basis of knowledge in biochemistry and molecular biology and the experimental strategies used by scientists in these fields. Laboratories will foster creative experimental work by students and familiarize them with current techniques and equipment used by biochemists and molecular biologists. It is the goal of this program to prepare majors for graduate study in biochemistry and molecular biology, post-baccalaureate study in the health sciences, and careers in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
Requirements for Majors
A major in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BCMB) consists of the following components:
Courses Required of All Majors:
- BCMB-202, 307, 351, 452W
- BIO-101Q, 102Q, 201W
- CHEM-107/107LQ 108/108L, (CHEM-151/151LQ can be taken instead of CHEM-107/107LQ and 108/108L), 207/207L, 208/208L
- PHYS-111Q/111L or 121Q/121L
- Advanced Molecular Biology Course (one of the following): BCMB-426W, 429W, 433W; BIO-425W, 449W, 459W
- Advanced Molecular Biology Laboratory (one of the following): BCMB-429L (in conjunction with BCMB/BIO-429W), 433L (in conjunction with BCMB-433W), 493; BIO-328L (in conjunction with BIO-328), 426L (in conjunction with BCMB/BIO-426W)
- Advanced Biology or Chemistry Course (one of the following): BCMB-350; BIO-306, 328, 345, 346; CHEM-310, 315, 322, 408W, 426W, 447W; after fulfilling the Advanced Molecular Biology Course requirement, a second course from that list may fulfill this requirement.
- Advanced Chemistry Laboratory (one of the following): CHEM-309L, 315L, 322L
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology majors fulfill the capstone, writing, and oral presentation requirements in the major by completing BCMB-452W and one of the Advanced Molecular Biology Courses.
Departmental Honors in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Students successfully completing BCMB-491/492 may be awarded honors but no additional credits will be given. Description of the honors program, including qualifications, is detailed in this catalog.