Biology department graduates have been extraordinarily successful for many decades in using their biological background and other skills learned at Ursinus to advance their careers.
Many of our graduates are accepted at premier graduate programs, almost always to earn a Ph.D., as well as to elite medical, dental, veterinary, and physician assistant programs across the country. Those who choose to enter the scientific work place after graduation from Ursinus are hired at cutting edge biotech firms large and small and many also ultimately pursue a graduate degree, though on a different time table.
Preparation for these careers begins in the undergraduate years and is often grounded in independent learning experiences, detailed elsewhere, but these experiences are often culminated in research presentations and/or publication with faculty co-authors.
Below we offer a representative sample of what our graduates have accomplished in the last three academic years.
Research presentations at regional or national conferences:
(Local and State conferences are not included)
Robert Dawley†, James Kelly*, Carina Brown*, Lindsay Lynch*, Julie Balko*, and Ellen Dawley. Differential use of forest and field habitat by the White-footed Mouse (Peromyscus leucopus). Ecological Society of America, Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Montclair State University, April 9-10, 2011.
Robert Dawley†, James Kelly*, Julie Balko*, Kalli Grasley*, and Ellen Dawley. Seasonal changes in habitat use by the White-footed Mouse (Peromyscus leucopus).6th Annual Lehigh Valley Ecology and Evolution Symposium. Muhlenberg College, April 16, 2011.
Favero CB, Dougherty K*, Howard C*, Kiss A*, Weber J*, and Hartl A*. Effects of acute prenatal exposure to ethanol on axon formation. Presented at: 2nd Annual Lehigh Valley Society for Neuroscience (LVSfN) Conference, Lafayette College, April, 2011
*Frymoyer, C., *McGee, C., *Hollenbach, R., *Amuquandoh, K., *Sido, A., *Roth, E., *McLeod, K., *Kuhn, J., *Konstanzer, D., *Murphy-Stout, A., *McLarnon, C., *Werkmeister, R., *Gurenlian, L., *King, L., Minniti, A., Inestrosa, N.C., and Kohn, R.E. Oxidative stress induces loss of GFP labeled neurons and delayed development to adulthood in an unc-13 mutant. Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C., November, 2011.
Wadsworth, S.A.*, C.Brown*, A. Hall*, M. Phillips*, Ian Macomber*, and K.A. Goddard. DNA Barcoding of Psephenus herricki; 6th Annual Lehigh Valley Ecology and Evolution Symposium, Allentown, PA, April, 2011
Schrandt, J.* and Lyczak, R. The effect of PAM-1 on embryonic microtubule length in C. elegans. Mid-Atlantic Developmental Biology Conference, Philadelphia, PA, June 3-4, 2011
Goddard, K. A.,S. A. Wadsworth, and K.R. Much, Using Macroinvertebrates and fish to Assess the Effects of Ithan Creek Restoration through a Golf Course in Suburban Pennsylvania. North American Benthological Society Annual Meeting, Providence, R.I. June 2011
Klock, Z.*, Meeker, J.*, Williams, M.*, Agayeva, L.*, Kaub, T. *, Jaeger, E., and Lyczak R. Centrosome positioning and the establishment of the anterior-posterior axis in the one-cell embryo. International C. elegans Conference, Los Angeles, CA, July, 2011
Pharmacological Action of Brainstem Medullary Depressants. Duffield,M. and Sidie,J. Mid-Atlantic Pharmacology Society Meeting, Thomas Jefferson University. Philadelphia, PA, October 27, 2011
Dawley E.M, Cook C*, Klaw M*, Gibble T*, Skelton P*, and Duffy B* Microglial response in tail autotomizing urodeles. Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Washington D.C., November 14-16-, 2011.
Pregnancy induces cardiac hypertrophy with hypercontractile ventricular myocytes. Poster presented with Kaitlyn Kennard (Class of ’12) at Experimental Biology 2012 held in San Diego, CA, April 2012. Additional student co-authors are Lianna Foster-Bey (Class of 2013) and Deb Yanessa (Class of 2011).
*King, L., *Frymoyer, C., *McLarnon, C., *Roth, E., *L. Gurenlian, *C. McLarnon, Minniti, A., Inestrosa, N.C., Kohn, R.E. Oxidative stress induces loss of GFP labeled neurons and delayed development to adulthood in an unc-13 mutant. International C. elegans Meeting, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, June, 2011.
McGrath, L.B.*, M. Abatuno*, and S. Polekoff*. Macrovertebrate Study Assessing Health of Streams where Hydraulic Fracturing has Occurred in Benton, Pennsylvania, Lehigh Valley Ecology and Evolution Symposium, DeSales University, Coopersburg, PA. April 16, 2012
Rebecca Roberts, Rabiul Ryan*, Josh Wonsidler*, Samantha Simpson*, Tu Pham*, and Regina Powers*. Effects of Estrogen and BPA on Cathepsin Activity and its Connection to the Autoimmune Disease Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Thirteenth Annual Conference on Undergraduate Research and Creative Expression, Penn State Berks, Reading PA. April 21, 2012.
J.N. Weber*, C.D. Howard*, K.A. Dougherty*, and C.B. Favero. Effects of prenatal ethanol exposure on corticothalamic neurons. Presented at: 35th Annual Research Society on Alcoholism national meeting, San Francisco, CA. July, 2012
Dawley, E.M., Cook C*, Klaw M*, Duffy B*, and Skelton P.* Mechanisms of spinal cord regeneration in a tail autotomizing salamander. Annual meeting of the Society for Neuroethology, Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD, August 5, 2012.
Coplin, R* and Favero, C. Effects of prenatal ethanol exposure on corridor cell development (research talk). Presented at: 7th Annual Student Research Seminars at the 13th National Role Models Conference sponsored by Minority Access, Inc. in Orlando, FL. September, 2012
Coplin, R* and Favero, C. Effects of prenatal ethanol exposure on corridor cell development. Presented at: Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience poster session during the 42nd Annual Society for Neuroscience national meeting, New Orleans, LA. October, 2012
K.E. Waits*, J.B. Alacci*, J.N. Weber, C.D. Howard, K.A. Dougherty, and C. Favero. Effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on internal capsule axons and corticothalamic neurons. Presented at: Annual Mid-Atlantic Pharmacology Society ASPET Regional Chapter meeting, Collegeville, PA. October, 2012
Tu Pham*, Andrew Kane*, Chris Doyle, Matt Zuber, Rabiul Ryan, and RebeccaRoberts. Regulation of cathepsin activity and B-cell surface moleculelevels by estrogen and bisphenol A. 15th Undergraduate Research Symposium in the Chemical and Biological Sciences. University of Maryland, Baltimore MD. October 20, 2012
Publications in peer reviewed scientific journals
Dawley, EM, *Samson, SO, *Matthias K, and *Woodard K in press. Spinal cord regeneration in a tail autotomizing Urodele. Journal of Morphology , February 2012.
*Kennard, K.,* L. Foster-Bey L, *D. Yanessa, B.A. Bailey. Pregnancy induces cardiac hypertrophy with hypercontractile ventricular myocytes FASEB J March 29, 2012 26:1139.10
Straub, C. S., N. P. Simasek*, M. R. Gapinski*, R. Dohm*, E. O. Aikens*, S. Muscella*. 2012. Influence of nonhost plant diversity and natural enemies on the potato leafhopper, Empoasca fabae, and pea aphid, Acyrthosiphon pisum, in alfalfa. Journal of Pest Science (in press)
Dawley, EM, *Samson, SO, *Matthias K, and *Woodard K 2012. Spinal cord regeneration in a tail autotomizing Urodele. Journal of Morphology 273:211-225.
Dao, J.* and R.A. Roberts. Bisphenol A: Mothers Shouldn’t Have to be Scientists. Chapter in edited collection titled “Liberation Science: Putting science to work for social and environmental justice”. Edited by Steven Emerman. Lulu Press, Raleigh, N.C.
Nikolas Stasulli*, Laura Seczech*, Emily Mercadante*, Michelle Heayn*, Derek Zimmer*, William Stanert*, Priya Patel*, Katie Mastoris* and Rebecca A. Roberts. (2012) Differential Regulation of Cathepsins B, L, and S by Estrogen and Bisphenol A in Antigen Presenting Cells from C57/BL6 and Lupus-prone NZB/WF1 Mice. Env. Health Perspec. In preparation.
Acceptances at graduate programs
- American University
- Columbia University
- Drexel University
- Duke University
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Lehigh University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- New York University
- Stony Brook University
- The Scripps Research Institute
- University of California – Berkley
- University of California – Davis
- University of California – San Diego
- University of California – San Francisco
- University of Delaware
- University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
- University of Notre Dame
- Vanderbilt University
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Yale University
Acceptances at medical, dental, veterinary, podiatry or physician assistant programs
- Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine
- Boston University School of Medicine
- Commonwealth Medical College
- Cooper Medical School
- Dalhousie Medical School, Nova Scotia
- Drexel University College of Medicine
- Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
- George Washington University School of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Jefferson Medical College
- Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine
- New York University College of Dentistry
- North Carolina State College of Veterinary Medicine
- Nova Southeastern
- Ohio State University College of Optometry
- Ohio State University – College of Veterinary Medicine
- Penn State University College of Medicine
- Pennsylvania College of Optometry
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Southern College of Optometry
- St. George’s University School of Veterinary Medicine
- SUNY College of Optometry
- SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Temple University – Kornberg School of Dentistry
- Temple University School of Medicine
- Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine
- The Commonwealth Medical College
- Tufts University – Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
- Tufts University School of Medicine
- Tulane University School of Medicine
- UMDNJ – New Jersey Dental School
- UMDNJ – New Jersey Medical School
- UMDNJ – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- UMDNJ – School of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine
- University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- University of Pennsylvania – Dental School
- University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry
Biological employment immediately following graduation
- Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories
- Genesphere, Inc
- GlaxoSmithKline, Inc
- Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Mass. General Hospital
- Icon Laboratories
- Merck & Co
- Pfizer Laboratories
- Waste Management Corporation