Under the direction of Prof. Steyaert, Spanish students put to work their language and tutoring skills for the Hispanic communities of Royersford, Pottstown, and Phoenixville.
Prof. Giovanna Steyaert continues developing and directing developed a volunteering program for Ursinus students in several local Spanish speaking communities:
- Centro Cultural Latinos Unidos (CCLU)
- Royersford Public Library
- Pottstown Regional Public Library
- Phoenixville Public Library.
At the beginning of the semester, each potential volunteer is interviewed by Prof. Steyaert and placed in a program that best fits his or her skills.
Spanish majors and minors, as well as students enrolled in elementary Spanish courses are welcome to participate.
There are different volunteering opportunities available to our students: from teaching basic English to adults, to participate in story time for children or in adult book clubs.
Spring 2019 Opportunities
Basic English for Spanish speakers at ACLAMO, Pottstown
Eight Tuesdays, 4pm. – 5pm.: 3/19, 3/26, 4/2, 4/9, 4/16, 4/23, 4/30, 5/7.
Art classes for Hispanic children at ACLAMO in Pottstown
Eight Tuesdays, 4pm. – 5pm.: 3/19, 3/26, 4/2, 4/9, 4/16, 4/23, 4/30. 5/7.
Story Time at the Phoenixville Public Library
2nd Wednesday of the month, 1:00-1:30pm.
Story Time at the Royersford Public Library
3rd Tuesday of the month, 1:30-2:00pm.
After school program for Hispanic children at Centro Cultural Latinos Unidos (CCLU)
Students may choose one day: Monday, Thursday, or Friday from 4pm. to 5pm.
Spanish Book Club at the Royersford Public Library
Students may choose to attend one or both sessions:
February 12: La breve y maravillosa vida de Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz.
April 23: Zama by Antonio Di Benedetto
Spanish Book Club at the Pottstown Public Library
Students may choose to attend one, two, or all three sessions:
February 19, March 19, and/or April 16: Don Quijote de la Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes.
Nutrition classes at ACLAMO:
Eight Wednesdays, 5pm.-6pm.: 3/20, 3/27, 4/3, 4/10, 4/17, 4/24, 4/31, 5/8.
Spanish tutoring: Teaching Spanish on campus on Thursdays from 4.30 to 5.30pm.
Our Volunteers this Semester
- Babaian, Nareen (Spanish and Biology, ’21): Afterschool at Centro Cultural Latinos Unidos.
- Brittingham, Grace (Biology, minor in Spanish, ’22): Story time at the Royersford Public Library.
- Dempsey, Elizabeth (Spanish & Computer Science, ’21): Story Time at the Phoenixville Library.
- DiSanto, Aubrey (Social Sciences, ’22): ESL at ACLAMO.
- Hurley, Brianna (Spanish and English, ’19): Spanish tutoring at Myrin.
- Johnson, Laura (American Studies, Religious Studies minor, ’19): Afterschool at Centro Cultural Latinos Unidos.
- Jones, Arielle (Spanish & Environmental Studies, ’19): ESL class at ACLAMO.
- Kiss, Madison (’22): ESL at ACLAMO.
- Peabody, Abigail (’22): Art class at ACLAMO.
- Ragland, Samuel ( Applied Economics, ’21): Nutrition class at ACLAMO.
- Sailes, Rahsaan (Neurosciences, ’22): Nutrition class at ACLAMO.
- Segich, Brooke (Spanish & HEP, ’21): Nutrition class at ACLAMO.
- Turcios, Amanda (Anthropology & Sociology, ’20): Afterschool at Centro Cultural Latinos Unidos.
UC Application Form
- We ask prospective volunteer students to complete the following form in order to be considered for the program: Spanish Volunteering Opportunities Application Form.
ACLAMO Application Requirements
First day of the program: Monday, March 18, 2019.
The following documentation is required by ACLAMO:
- Online Registration.
- Clearances: Child abuse, Criminal record, FBI Fingerprints. Submitted before the first day of the program or brought the first day in a close enveloped. The documentation is available here.
- Confidentiality Agreement.
- Photograph/Video Authorization Form.
- Volunteer Emergency Contact Information.
CCLU requires Police and Child Abuse Clearances. The documentation is available here.