The Ursinus Music Program Scholarship awards $40,000 per year, or $160,000 for four years, to an outstanding student with ability, commitment, and leadership potential. Runner-up awards for each department are also available.
Music Program Scholarship
No separate application is required. Students interested in auditioning must:
- Apply to the College by January 1, 2020.
- Submit a resume of performance experience by January 1, 2020.
- Plan to attend Audition Day on Saturday, February 8th, 2019.
On February 8, applicants are required to:
- Present 6-8 minutes of prepared material, consisting of two contrasting styles. Those auditioning may be asked to play scales, but sight-reading will not be required. Instrumentalists will perform unaccompanied. For vocalists, please bring piano accompaniments as an accompanist will be available.
- Be prepared for a 5-8 minute interview. A panel of music faculty will engage you with questions about your interest in music, your interest in Ursinus, and your other areas of interest.
Terms of the Scholarship
In addition to the monetary award, the annual winner of the Music Scholarship will receive:
- Up to two (2) semesters of private lessons
- Leadership standing in the Ursinus Performing Arts community
All scholarship award recipients (this includes the top winner plus runners-up) will be required to participate in at least one Music Department ensemble each semester. Preference will be given to students intending to major in music.
What are the criteria for selection?
The two most important criteria are a demonstrated record of achievement in the performing arts and the strength of the Ursinus audition. Candidates must comfortably achieve admission to Ursinus with a minimum “B” average in a rigorous college prep academic program. Standardized test scores are not required for most Ursinus applicants. Please note that the Performing Arts Scholarship in Music replaces any Ursinus College Scholarship previously offered by Ursinus College.