Missed Friday’s Lunch & Learn about the MISO Survey? Not to worry…
In the Spring of 2020, LIT surveyed the entire Ursinus campus using the MISO survey to learn about community members’ needs, desires, challenges, and successes with using information resources and technology. On Friday, April 23, 2021, we discussed the survey results in a Lunch & Learn.
What is MISO?
MISO stands for “Measuring Information Service Outcomes”. It is a survey used by academic institutions to measure the use of and satisfaction with information technology and library services on their campus. Here at Ursinus, we typically administer the survey every four years.
The survey asks students, faculty, and staff to respond to questions in the following areas:
- The frequency of use, importance of, and satisfaction with various LIT services.
- Use of and perceived skill with various tools/technologies.
- Interest in learning more about specific skills/technologies.
What did LIT learn from the survey?
Here are some highlights from the campus community’s responses:
- The most important services to faculty and staff were replacement/updates to their work computers and the services provided by Tech Support; students rated physical comfort in the library and email as their most important services.
- The services receiving the highest satisfaction include Interlibrary Loan, the speed with which Tech Support resolves technology issues, our Canvas LMS, and the services of Archives/Special Collections.
- Areas in which respondents would like to see continued investment include access to free or low cost course materials, performance of the campus Wi-Fi network, and technology in meeting spaces & classrooms.
In addition, respondents indicated high interest in learning more about the following topics through future workshops, training sessions, and online tutorials:
- Avoiding computer problems
- Backing up data
- Data display/visualization (e.g. charts, graphs)
- Graphics software (e.g. Photoshop, Adobe Elements)
- Identifying fraudulent email messages/phishing attempts
- Protecting one’s identity and reputation online