This position is responsible for installing, maintaining, operating and repairing all forms of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, equipment and components (associated pumps, valves and controls) at Ursinus College. Employees of Ursinus College must possess excellent customer service skills, interpersonal skills and have an overall concern for the general welfare of the college and community and provide the best possible environment for education and student living.
- Carry out repair, maintenance, and installation of equipment for the generation, utilization, or distribution of commercial systems
- Perform inspection, maintenance, adjustment and repair of equipment to ensure constant and reliable indoor air comfort
- Handle and repair test equipment, chillers, direct expansion and chilled water-based cooling systems, large air handlers, electronic and pneumatic direct digital control systems, and air distribution systems
- Operate, procure, introduce, and get back HFC, HCFC, and CFC refrigerants
- Perform repairs and maintenance of reach in, walk in, stand alone ice machines, central plan chillers, pumps, free standing A/C units, refrigerators, roof top cooling units, and guest rooms A/C units
- Maintain inventory of parts and supplies of air conditioning and refrigeration equipment
- Design an effective preventive maintenance program to ensure maintenance of equipment is scheduled and carried out regularly as at when due
- Carry out chemical test on cooling tower and chilled water loop as required
- Ensure proper air circulation on the air handler by balancing airflow
- Perform low voltage wiring; handle BAS system Direct Digital Controllers (DDC)
- Diagnose and effect mechanical, plumbing, and electrical repairs to HVAC equipment
- Carry out regular periodic plumbing and maintenance tasks as needed
- Other duties as assigned Management
Requirements and Qualifications
- Possess five years’ experience maintaining, repairing, or installing refrigeration and HVAC units, equipment, and systems; or associate’s degree in HVAC/refrigeration systems; or a two-year technical HVAC/refrigeration training program successfully completed after high school; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Strong knowledge of the hazards associated with the occupation, and the safety precautions to maintain all times; examples include knowledge of procedures in handling chemicals such as degreasers, cleaners, Freon, and acids
- Possess required permits and licenses by local laws and ordinances to repair, maintain, and operate refrigeration and HVAC systems and equipment
- Strong ability to give attention to detail and be accurate in performing work duties
- Strong ability to make sound professional judgement and uphold ethics and confidentiality
- Strong communication skills and ability to apply sound discretion
- Available and willing to be called upon any time, including off working hours to handle emergency duties
- Ability to climb and maneuver on tight spaces, ladders, and work and staging platforms; ability to lift items weighing up to 50 pounds; strong ability to climb over and around equipment in construction locations; and ability to work 80-90% of the time standing.
- Strong ability to read and comprehend electrical and mechanical plans and wiring diagrams; and adhere to safety guidelines.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
Metal fabrication and welding
Anticipated Start Date
Interested candidates should apply here. Once you create an applicant account, you will be prompted to upload your cover letter, resume, and a list with contact information for three references to the applicant database.
Ursinus is an EO/AA employer. Ursinus College does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by applicable law in the administration of any of its educational programs or activities or with respect to employment.