Department: Office of Advancement
- Total number of positions: 15
- Positions currently available: 10
- Accepting applications: Through August 24th, 2018
- Pay grade: BF
What does a Phonathon Student Caller do?
Phonathon Student Callers personally contact thousands of alumni, parents and friends of UC each year. Their purpose is two-fold: to build and strengthen the relationship between UC and our alumni, parents and donors, while sharing the importance of supporting UC financially.
Student callers are expected to act professionally on and off the phone. This position requires excellent communication skills, outstanding judgement, exceptional attention to detail, the ability to think on your feet in a fast-paced environment, great multi-tasking skills and a genuine love for Ursinus College.
Who We’re Looking For
- Diligent, detail-oriented students
- Vibrant, outgoing, resilient personalities
- Strong conversationalists
- Students who love UC
Responsibilities and Duties
- Be an ambassador by creating honest and engaging conversations with alumni, parents and other supporters.
- Gain an understanding of the College, its organizational structure and the Annual Fund.
- Call constituents (alumni, parents and friends of UC) to build rapport, update demographic information, educate about the Annual Fund and acquire gifts to the Annual Fund.
- Handle each phone call with courtesy, tact and sensitivity, no matter the situation that arises.
- Think quickly in responding to any questions and/or concerns our alumni, parents and friends may have.
- Share your excitement about the Annual Fund and how it benefits our students and alumni in an effort to increase both giving and participation.
- Share what’s going on at UC today (campus improvements, events, happenings and student life).
- Handle personal information with extreme confidentiality.
- Follow all other procedures and guidelines in the training manual.
- Ability to multi-task and simultaneously listen to a donor and type information into a computer system.
- Commit to 2 shifts per week.
- Arrive on time and with a positive attitude to calling sessions.
Phonathon is NOT for everyone.
We need students who are passionate about Ursinus College and are willing and able to create rapport with alumni, parents, and friends of the college in order to solicit and negotiate support for the Annual Fund. You may be the only personal contact alumni, parents and friends receive from the college this year, so it is imperative that you do your very best on every call to engage them and encourage their support of Ursinus.
The schedule during the Fall 2018 semester will be the following shifts:
- Sunday: 1:30-4:30 PM
- Monday: 4:30-7:00 PM
- Tuesday: 6:00-8:30 PM
- Wednesday: 4:30-7:00 PM
- Thursday: 6:00-8:30 PM
The Phonathon room is located in Pfahler 001.
- Competitive wages: Phonathon callers start at $8.50/hour, with opportunities for bonuses each semester and raises each academic year.
- Build your resume: Develop professional skills relevant to sales, marketing, fundraising & non-profit industries. Cultivate strong interpersonal communication, fundraising and marketing skills.
- Network: Converse with alumni and parents in various professions all across the United States.
- Incentives: Nightly bonuses, prizes, snacks, semester bonuses and end-of-semester celebrations.
Requirements and Qualifications
No experience needed, but you will be required to attend a mandatory training program. You must be open to new experiences and willing to learn new skills. Training includes mini-lecture, discussions, and role-playing.
It is mandatory for all callers to work 2 shifts per week. Additional shifts are given on a first come, first served request.