This position, working under a zone maintenance program and taking direction from the Grounds Supervisor, is responsible for the upkeep, care and maintenance of grounds on campus property throughout the year. This position supports the facilities function to provide the campus and surrounding community with an inviting environment that lends to the recruitment, teaching, learning and living experience at Ursinus College.
Give the grounds a manicured look, including:
- Mow the lawns, prune the bushes and trees, weed flower beds and around shrubbery, edge the walkways
- Remove leaves from beds, remove branches, brush or tree stumps as appropriate
- Plant grass, flowers, trees and shrubs
- Spray lawns, shrubs and trees with fertilizer, herbicides and insecticides
- Daily monitoring of campus areas for litter and debris removal
- Operate snow removal equipment during the winter to keep all of the driveways, walkways and building entrances cleared and safe; sand and salt as needed or instructed.
- Take on special landscaping or planting projects as deemed necessary by the grounds supervisor
- Collaborate with maintenance team to make sure the grounds and the buildings are always properly cared for
- Perform preventative maintenance check on all lawn equipment and tools prior to use; perform regular maintenance and minor repairs on such equipment and tools
- Hauls, moves, and stores furniture, equipment, and supplies; cleans storage areas as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma/GED required
- 3+ years’ groundskeeping experience
- Current Pesticide Applicator’s License (core and #23)
- Knowledge and use of specialized grounds equipment and power tools
- Must possess excellent customer service skills and have an overall concern of the general welfare of the college and community
- Must be a reliable worker who is able to perform routine tasks without supervision and establish work priorities
- Valid driver’s license
- Respond to on-call, after-hours emergencies (nights, weekends and holidays)
- Must obey all safety requirement and procedures in operation of all power equipment and hand tools; wears protective safety glasses, shoes, respirators, clothing, and other safety equipment as required
- Must supply own trade tools and transportation (mileage on campus is reimbursed)
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work well in a team environment and communicate with a diverse community
- Works successfully with diverse others and upholds the College’s commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action, in order to help the organization, realize its commitment to excellence through diversity.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Basic computer knowledge in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel)
- Knowledge of sports field care and maintenance
- Knowledge of arboriculture and how it applies to the campus
- Trouble-shooting skills on machinery and power tools
- Fork truck and bucket truck certification
- Sprinkler system repair (hydraulic and electric valves)
Interested candidates should apply here. Once you create an applicant account, you will be prompted to upload your cover letter, resume, and a list with contact information for three references to the applicant database.
Ursinus is an AA/EO employer. Ursinus College does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by applicable law in the administration of any of its educational programs or activities or with respect to employment.