Department: Office of Sustainability
- Total number of positions: 1
- Positions currently available: 1
- Accepting applications: Spring
The Office of Sustainability at Ursinus College invites you to apply for the position of Farm Assistant. We are seeking an energetic, self-motivated, and goal-oriented individual with the ability to work with faculty, staff, and other students in order to accomplish the college’s sustainability goals. The person in this position will handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously, work independently to accomplish tasks, and maintain a positive attitude throughout the day.
Reporting to the Office of Sustainability (OS), the Student Farm Assistant is expected to work closely with the Farm Director and Farm Fellows to guide the farm project toward all of its goals for the calendar year. This is a good opportunity to learn more about agriculture and basic farming techniques. The Student Farm Assistant will be required to assist the Farm Director and Farm Assistant Fellow in weeding, harvesting, and selling food crops. The farm is an interdisciplinary project of the College, part of our ongoing sustainability programming. It is located on 2.3 acres of agricultural fields on 9th Avenue, adjacent to Hunsberger Woods. The farm operates on principles of minimal resource usage and sustainable agricultural practices. In this multifaceted way, the farm provides hands-on experience in agricultural and social food systems, service learning, and civic engagement for its student directors and members of the Ursinus community. The farm exists to provide opportunities for members of the campus community to work together in a community-oriented agricultural setting, while supporting applied and academic goals.
• Assist in managing aspects of the Ursinus Farm (with close direction of student Farm Director and student Farm Fellows); including but not limited to: planting start-ups, crop transplants, harvesting, farm market management, and volunteer engagement
• Learn the general operation of the farm, eventually working with the Farm Director on a more independent basis
• Assist in coordinating Ursinus Organic Farm promotional events and educate campus about farming practices
• Troubleshoot issues that may arise in managing crops and execute plans to solve those issues
• Works successfully with professional staff, faculty, and students to implement/coordinate projects, campaigns, and events
• Hands in all necessary reports/paperwork
• Attends staff meetings
• Student Farm Assistants are not expected to work on major holidays. Furthermore, if need be, time away from the farm can be arranged in coordination with the Office of Sustainability.
Requirements and Qualifications
• Basic agricultural experience (Planting, tilling, weeding)
• Willing to work outdoors during the summer
• On campus during 2019 summer break
• Be willing to attend safety training and operate push mowers
Position Duration: 12 weeks during the 2019 summer break. Student must be present and on campus during this time. Please note: this position does not provide summer housing. The student accepting this position will be responsible for securing summer housing with the Residence Life Office.
Expected Hours/Week: 10 hours