The Pre-Health Advisor will be responsible for overseeing Ursinus College’s pre-health advising program for students and alumni. This position is a key member of the Career and Post-Graduate Development department, which offers comprehensive and proactive career and graduate school preparation to students and alumni. The pre-health advisor plays a vital role in constructing an educational experience that is based on a student’s career interest in specific health professions. The advisor builds strong relationships with faculty, staff, schools, programs, and employers, serving as the principal source of information and advice about preparation for health professions programs. This position also helps students and alumni to identify and pursue clinical, volunteer or community services experiences and research opportunities.
- Advise students and alumni on the academic path toward medical school and other health programs including nursing, dental, veterinary, optometry, podiatry, physician assistant, physical therapy, and occupational therapy programs.
- Direct students in exploring professional, career and educational options and in obtaining effective experiential learning, job and further educational or research opportunities.
- Guide students and alumni through the professional school application process. Assist with application materials, guidance on entrance examination preparation resources, interviews, and personal statements.
- Collaborate with Assistant Director of Employer Relations in developing new and strengthening existing employer relationships. Increase availability of opportunities for students needing shadowing, volunteer, internship, and other experiences.
- Remain current in the programs of study and requirements of graduate and professional schools. Strengthen and develop connections with graduate and professional school representatives.
- Promote volunteer, clinical, research, and other experiential learning opportunities for students considering the health professions.
- Demonstrate a spirit of cooperation by working collaboratively with Biology, Chemistry, Health and Exercise Physiology, Psychology, other faculty, and other relevant campus partners.
- Collaborate with college administration and faculty regarding cooperative agreements with other institutions.
- Advise Ursinus student pre-health organizations.
- Collect, maintain, and analyze data pertaining to the admission of students and alumni to health professional schools.
- Develop and oversee the pre-health content of the CPD website, social media presence, marketing materials, and library resources.
- Pre-Health Committee: Collaborate with faculty to support the Pre-Health Committee (eg., present detailed data on student outcomes).
- Conduct workshops and classroom presentations to provide overview of the application process for those interested in medical school and other health programs.
- Serve on career fair sub-committee.
- Participate in on-campus recruiting events and employer information sessions.
- Provide operational and advising support as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling, higher education, or pre-health related. Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of one to three years’ pre-health advising experience, three years pre-health advising preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge in undergraduate, medical school and other health related admissions, guidelines, and processes
- Proven ability to develop, plan and implement pre-health program events, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Requires ability to analyze and interpret data and ability to balance competing priorities effectively
- Demonstrated ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds and ability levels to communicate candidly and compassionately with students
- Proven experience in creating partnerships and working effectively with broad constituencies for pre-health or related majors, including faculty and employing partners
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with employers and graduate school representatives, including sourcing, contacting, and visiting employers.
- Experience working collaboratively with career development advisors and employer relations staff
- Demonstrated interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills. Must have strong presentation skills
- Experience with using technology to enhance advising and counseling process
- Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
Interested candidates should apply here. Once you create an applicant account, you will be prompted to upload your cover letter, resume, and a list with contact information for three references to the applicant database.
Ursinus is an AA/EO employer. Ursinus College does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by applicable law in the administration of any of its educational programs or activities or with respect to employment.