Preventing Mold Growth
- Keep the exhaust fan in the bathroom running to keep the air circulating to dry out the space. If it is not working, contact Facilities @ 610-409-3598.
- Keep all windows closed especially when it’s humid outside. The AC unit must work much harder to try to wring out the air in your room/suite if you leave windows open and may cause condensation that may contribute to mold growth.
- Keep the area directly in front of the heating/cooling unit open – avoid placing the bed, large boxes/storage containers, other furniture, or clothes in front of the unit to maximize air flow in the room.
- Practice good housekeeping
- Hang up wet towels and clothes to dry – avoid leaving them on the floor, under the bed, or in the closet. Use a drying rack or a clothes dryer.
- Clean up all liquids that spill on the floor/carpet/walls in your room/suite promptly.
- Keep dust to the minimum – mold can grow on dusty surfaces.
- Periodically wipe the HVAC vents, if applicable, to remove any accumulated dust.
- If you have a window AC unit, clean the removeable filter monthly and wipe the front of the unit with a disinfectant to remove any accumulated dust.
- If you live in Reimert or a Main Street house equipped with central AC, keep the main door to your suite or house closed.
- Report suspect mold to Facilities immediately @ 610-409-3598.
- Report water leaks in your bathroom/kitchen to Facilities immediately - @ 610-409-3598.
- Consider showering and washing your hair before going to bed to avoid introducing allergens to your bed linens.
- If you are highly sensitive to allergens, consider investing in an air purifier for your space to remove as many allergens from the air as possible.
- Avoid overwatering the plants which can lead to mold growth and musty odor. Remove dirt that may have spilled over the plant container onto the windowsill.
- Review these “Tips for Allergy Suffers”
- If medication has been prescribed to reduce your sensitivity, follow the instructions of your doctor and/or medical personnel.
- Track the pollen count at pollen.com , and on the days when the count is “high” try to stay indoors as much as possible.
- Keep windows and exterior doors closed to reduce the number of allergens entering your residence hall room or suite.
- Vacuum/sweep and dust regularly to reduce the number of allergens that may have hitchhiked into your space. If you find you are extremely sensitive, you may want to invest in a HEPA Filter vacuum cleaner to capture as many allergens as possible.
- Avoid tossing your book bag or the clothes worn outside on your bed to prevent spreading allergens to your sleeping area.
- Contact Facilities at 610-409-3598 when you think you see visible mold in your room.
- If the visible mold is reported to be in the bathroom, Facilities will contact Cleaning Services to clean the mold with an approved biocide.
- If the mold is reported to be in your room, Facilities and/or EHS/Risk Management will access the room and determine the course of action:
- Humidity and temperature readings of the space taken to determine if the HVAC unit is working properly to maintain humidity levels below 60%. Facilities will adjust the temperature based on the readings.
- Evaluation of the space to identify areas of water intrusion. If identified, Facilities will determine the best way to prevent future intrusion.
- If visible mold found in your room, Facilities will clean with an approved biocide product.
Seek medical care from your healthcare provider or the college’s Wellness & Counseling Center. Molds produce similar symptoms as a number of other illnesses including viral and bacterial infections and sensitivities to other environmental and food allergens. Symptoms may include sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis).
Facilities staff regularly performs preventative maintenance on HVAC units in all campus buildings. If there is a leaky pipe, the pipe is repaired. Ceiling tiles and dry wall surfaces that are affected from a leaky pipe are replaced or repaired.
During the summer, additional preventative maintenance was completed in the following residence halls:
HVAC units in New, Richter/North and Reimert:
- Cleaned and sanitized all the valance units that hang from the ceilings in new and Richter/North halls.
- Cleaned and sanitized the condensate drain pans.
- Blew out all condensate drain lines.
- Cleaned ducts and sanitized all exhaust sytems for bathrooms.
- Cleaned ducts and sanitized all HVAC units.
- Verified all units were functionally properly and made any necessary repairs.
HVAC units in Wicks and Musser Halls:
Removed the blower and housing and cleaned and sanitized.
Cleaned and sanitized the coil.
Cleaned and sanitized the condensate drain pans.
Blew out all condensate drain lines.
Sanitized the outside unit.
Verified all units functionally properly and made any necessary repairs.
BWC and BPS window A/C units:
- Cleaned anitized entire unit.
- Removed the drain plugs from the pans to prevent any standing water in the drain pan.
- Reinstalled the window units.
Cleaned and sanitized each unit and confirmed working properly.