Faculty-Specialized Leave of Absence

This policy permits a faculty member to request a leave of absence to do specialized research, to accept a visiting professorship at another institution or to complete requirements for an advanced degree, or for reasons of health (including maternity).

Faculty members may apply for a leave of absence for no more than one year at a time. Such a request should be addressed to the Dean of the College, who forwards the request to the President. If the President approves, he will recommend that the Board of Trustees authorize a leave of absence. A leave may be extended for a second year if the Board of Trustees approves.

A leave of absence may be granted with or without compensation, depending upon the circumstances involved.