It is the policy of Ursinus College to comply with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989 and its amendments (DFSCA). According, Ursinus College is required to adopt, prohibit, and put into effect programs to prevent the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of illegal drugs and alcohol by all employees on Ursinus property, at college sponsored activities or events, and to offer anti-drug and alcohol abuse programming.
Employees in violation of this prohibition will be subject to disciplinary action, including discharge under college work rules.
In addition to this notice, employees must notify the President of Ursinus College of any criminal drug statute conviction for any violation occurring in the workplace no later than five days after the conviction.
All employees are further advised that the College, upon being advised by an employee that the employee has been convicted of a criminal drug statute violation occurring in the workplace, will so notify any appropriate federal funding agency within ten days, and will, within thirty days:
• take appropriate personnel action against such an employee, up to and including termination, or
• require the employee to participate satisfactorily in a drug abuse assistance rehabilitation program approved for such purposes by a federal, state, or local health, law enforcement, or other appropriate agency.
The College offers drug-free awareness programs to inform employees about the dangers of drug abuse and information about available drug counseling and rehabilitation.
These federal regulations also require the college to distribute annually to students and employee’s information which outlines the following:
- The health risks associated with alcohol and drug use and abuse;
- Alcohol and drug abuse resources for students and employees;
- Policies on alcohol and other drugs;
- Information on state, municipal and federal laws and sanctions; and
- Standards of conduct that clearly prohibit the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees on its property or as part of its on-campus or off-campus activities.