As an international student coming to the United States, you need to be familiar with the types of visas, how they impact your financing while in the USA and how to go through the application and arrival processes.

Ursinus College is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students. As an international student, you will have to apply for a non-immigrant, student visa in order to attend school outside of your native country. The application to apply for a U.S. visa can be found on the embassy website: You must complete the U.S. visa application and the DS-160 form, and pay the deposit fee. Once that is all completed, the Designated School Officers will send your SEVIS-generated I-20 form to bring to the interview. An interview with the U.S. consulate is required in order to obtain a visa.

Maintaining your F-1 Student Status

In order to maintain your F-1 Student Status while attending school in the United States, the following are required:

  1. Keep your passport valid at all times. If your passport is going to expire within six months, or to replace a lost or stolen passport, contact your embassy or consulate in the United States. Your country’s governmental representatives in the United States are responsible for issuing passports to their citizens living here.

  2. Maintain full-time enrollment and normal full-time progress towards your degree. You must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per semester at Ursinus. This does not include audited classes or incomplete classes.