Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find information on travel advisories for international destinations, including information specific to a particular city or region (which may be different than that for the country as a whole)?

Consult the U.S. State Department resources here.

What kind of insurance does (and doesn’t) the College provide/arrange for faculty or staff-led international travel and who can help me with that?

Contact Carol McMillin, Office of Risk Management.

What if a student wants to do a self-initiated internship or independent project abroad?

When the student consults an advisor for a signature, the advisor should contact the CIP.

Do I have to contact CIP for all international travel student programs?

Yes, the International Travel Policy mandates contacting the CIP.

How far in advance must proposals for new or recurring programs led by faculty and/or staff be registered?

Registration for new or recurring programs must occur at least one year prior to departure to ensure ample time to vet the program.

Must my itinerary include extracurricular activities?

Yes, the CIP and ORM review itineraries for activities that may be considered higher risk (i.e. swimming at a beach or lake) and warrant additional risk assessment.