Abele Scholars at Ursinus College are high-achieving students who are residents of PA, DE, NJ, or MD with demonstrated financial need.
- Abele Scholars Brochure
- FAQs Abele Scholars Program at Ursinus College
- How to write a great scholarship application essay
The Abele Scholars Program increases access and affordability of an undergraduate education for students from low- and middle-income families in Pennsylvania and adjacent states (DE/MD/NJ) who demonstrate academic potential, financial need and a desire for the individualized educational experience offered at Ursinus College.
In recognition of scholastic achievement, extracurricular activities and personal character, winners will receive an annual Abele Scholar Award of $10,000, in addition to:
- Up to $2,000 in “startup” funds to reimburse approved first-year expenses related to starting college, e.g., purchase of a laptop computer, travel to campus, etc.
- Up to $3,000 in “enrichment” funds to assist in covering expenses for academic activities that contribute to the student’s progress throughout the four years of undergraduate study and that support degree completion. These activities may include completion of an internship on an unpaid basis or in a location away from home, summer courses, and/or professional development activities such as attending an academic conference.
- Up to $8,000 to be paid directly to the student’s Federal loan servicer in satisfaction of the unsubsidized Stafford Loans taken by the student upon completion of the Bachelor’s degree and other requirements of the program.
- An on-campus adviser who will be available to Abele Scholars to support and advise them on academic and other issues and who will act as a liaison to other college programs, as well as to the Abele Family Foundation.
- Programming that supports successful and positive approaches to socialization and learning in college, and that provides opportunities to develop practical skills that prepare students for success in their academic, civic and professional lives after graduation. Any expenses associated with content or travel required for these programs will be paid by the Abele Family Foundation.
How to Apply
Apply to the College. We recommend that you apply at least a week prior to the deadline for your application round to allow ample time for scholarship application completion.
Complete the online application: To apply students will login with the username and password sent to them upon application submission to Ursinus. Please check the email address associated with your application.
Application deadline: January 15, 2020. For additional information please refer to our FAQ’s.
To apply for the Abele Scholar Award, you must satisfy these requirements:
- Be a resident of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware or Maryland
- Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of no more than $20,000 based on your current FAFSA
- High school (unweighted) GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Record of leadership and contribution to your school or community