Student Emergency Fund
Ursinus College has created the Bear2Bear Student Emergency Fund to support students facing temporary financial hardship as a result of an emergency or crisis situation. The Fund provides special grants for students who have exhausted all other sources of funding. The Fund is supported through generous donations from members of the Ursinus community.
The application process to receive grants from the Bear2Bear Fund is separate from the normal application process for financial aid.
In accordance with NCAA Division III regulations, athletics leadership, ability, participation, or performance may not be considered in the awarding of any financial aid. This includes the process of reviewing, considering, and granting requests for additional funding through the Bear2Bear Emergency Fund. Please do not mention any of these items within your application. Applications mentioning any of these items or requesting funds for athletic related costs will be denied.
Examples of Qualifying Emergency Circumstances:
- Academic-related charges outside of standard bill (test fees, books, supplies)
- Death in the immediate family
- Transportation for family emergency
- Uninsured losses caused by fire, crime, flood or other disasters
- Unforeseen and uncovered medical expenses related to self, spouse or immediate family member.
To be eligible to apply for a grant, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled as a full-time student (12 credits or more) in good academic standing, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- Your student conduct record will be reviewed and evaluated.
- Have considered and exhausted all alternative sources of aid assistance.
- Must not have received emergency funds during the current academic year.
- Complete an application here.
- Provide documentation of the emergency or crisis situation that has created financial hardship (e.g., medical bills, receipts, copy of eviction notice, etc.)
- Schedule an in person interview with the Office of Student Financial Services or the Ursinus Institute for Student Success.
Applications for support from the Bear2Bear Student Emergency Fund will be reviewed on a rolling basis. A committee of representatives from the Office of Student Financial Services and the Ursinus Institute for Student Success will interview applicants, review and make decisions on all applications. Applicants will then be notified of approval/denial of the application as well as the amount of any corresponding grant award. The award will be disbursed to the student’s billing account.
All applications are considered on a case-by-case basis. The maximum award amount from the Bear2Bear Fund is $5,000 per student per year and is subject to the availability and the extent of the financial need caused by the hardship.