In the spirit of J.D. Salinger, we are looking for creative writers of outstanding originality and potential. In homage to Salinger’s 9 Stories, we will also offer 9 finalist awards.
The Ursinus College Creative Writing Award is a $40,000 per year major scholarship for creative writers of outstanding originality and potential. The award winner will have the honor of living in the dorm room once occupied by J.D. Salinger, who attended Ursinus. In the spirit of Holden Caulfield and Catcher in the Rye, we are looking for an unusual perspective, for quirky brilliance, for a voice. Click here to visit the Ursinus Creative Writing department page. Many winners and finalists go on to be published in The Lantern and other literary magazines.
How to apply
1. Students must apply to the College via the Common App by the deadline of January 1, 2019.
2. Complete the short Creative Writing Award application and submit no more than 10 (double spaced) pages of creative writing by January 1, 2019. We accept creative work in fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, or some combination of genres. The winner of this award will be notified on February 20. We will also award nine Finalists in homage to Salinger’s collection of short stories.
3. To apply students will login with the username and password sent to them upon CommonApp submission to Ursinus. Please check the email address associated with your CommonApp.
What are the criteria for selection?
Submit a portfolio of no more than 10 (double spaced) pages of creative work in fiction, poetry, or some combination of genres. Candidates must achieve admission to Ursinus. Standardized test scores are not required for most Ursinus applicants. The winner will be chosen by a committee of past winners, finalists, and faculty.
What are the terms of the scholarship?
The annual winner of the Creative Writing Award will receive:
- a $40,000 scholarship, renewable all four years;
- the opportunity to occupy during her or his first academic year the residence room where J. D. Salinger lived; and
- leadership standing in the Ursinus writing community.
The winner will be expected to join the previous award winners in reading subsequent creative portfolios, and will help the Office of Admission in selecting the next winner. Award winners are also expected to be prominent members of Ursinus’ Literary Society, the Lantern, and creative writing community.