Small colleges afford students the opportunity to affect change in their community from the start of their college career. U-Lead Scholars are incoming students who understand what matters to them, can communicate that vision to those they live with, and have the dedication to work consistently to enact their values. They are awarded $8,000/year, on top of their merit award.
They are agile and creative people who feel empowered to better the Ursinus experience for future generations of students. Scholars will be expected to individually move into leadership positions across campus and to come together as a group to work towards larger, institution-wide change. Successful applicants will demonstrate how their prior excellence in a particular area will transfer to their time at Ursinus.
Key Elements of the Program
- Seminar in Leadership Theory (weekly meeting throughout the year)
- Each scholar would be assigned a volunteer faculty/staff mentor
- Monthly group lunch or dinner to discuss relevant issues in leadership
- Monthly social event (on or off campus) using weekend programming calendar
- Leadership retreat at the beginning of each semester (Aug/Sept & Jan.)
- Community Engagement Project developed each year
- Leadership speaker (alum or local business, government, or non-profit) twice a semester
- Annual End of the Year Dinner – Sharing Our Success
How to apply
- For top consideration, students should apply to the college Early Action by November 1 or Early Decision 1 by December 1 and complete the required supplemental application by January 3. Limited finalist spots are available for Regular Decision and Early Decision 2 students who apply to the college by January 1 and submit the supplemental application by January 3. We recommend that you apply at least a week prior to the deadline to allow ample time for scholarship application completion.
- Complete the online application by January 3, 2024. To apply students will log in with the username and password sent to them upon application submission to Ursinus. Please check the email address associated with your application.
- Applications are due by January 3, 2024. Finalist interviews will take place in February 2024.