Testing Positive for COVID-19
Employees who test positive for COVID-19 will follow the steps below:
- Stay at home and keep as separate as practical from other members of their household.
- Follow CDC guidelines for isolation
- Return to campus/work when the following criteria have been met:
- At least 10 days since first appearance of symptoms, or since a positive test if asymptomatic
- At least 24 hours with no fever (without use of fever-reducing medication), and
- Symptoms have improved.
For employees who are identified as COVID positive, the Montgomery County Public Health officials or the Ursinus Health Corps will engage the employee virtually to do contact tracing of others in close contact with the infected individual over the preceding 48 hours.
- Employees identified by contact tracing will be asked to teach/work remotely and asked to follow CDC quarantine guidelines as well as possible to protect other members of their household and their local community. Return to campus is permitted:
- After 10 days (post-exposure) of isolation, with a careful monitoring of potential symptoms for the full 14 days.
- The campus community will be notified of the identification of a case on campus, and that the appropriate steps of isolation and quarantine have been taken. Individual privacy will be respected in communication to the full campus and through the contact tracing process, consistent with applicable confidentiality laws. To promote transparency and to keep the campus fully aware of that positive cases may have occurred, the college will continue to update a weekly “dashboard” on its Bears Return webpage. That dashboard will include a color-coded alert system, as well as key indicators of the health of the campus community including the overall number of completed tests, the number of positive tests, the number of students in quarantine, and the changes in the statistics week-over-week.
Identified as a Contact of Someone who has Tested COVID positive
Employees identified by contact tracing or who have been exposed to a positive COVID case will be asked to teach/work remotely and asked to follow CDC quarantine guidelines as well as possible to protect other members of their household and their local community. Return to campus is permitted:
- After 10 days (post-exposure) of quarantine, with a careful monitoring of potential symptoms for the full 14 days AND
- No current symptoms.
Additional Measures for Positive Cases
In addition to following CDC guidelines for contact tracing, quarantine and isolation, and notifying the campus community, the college will follow recommended CDC guidelines that include the following:
- Cleaning and disinfecting affected areas
- Affected areas will be secured and decontaminated.
- Areas visited by the employee who is a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19 will be closed off.
- Outside doors and windows will be opened and ventilation fans used to circulate the air in the area.
- After waiting 24 hours, the area will be cleaned and disinfected.
- All shared areas such as offices, bathrooms, and break rooms, and shared electronic equipment (e.g. tablets, touch screens, keyboards, remote controls) will be cleaned and disinfected.
- Immediately sending home an employee who becomes sick during the workday and cleaning and disinfecting the surfaces in the employee’s workspace.
- Monitoring employees’ temperatures prior to the start of the workday for 14 days.
- Continuing to require employees who don’t feel well to stay home.
- Continuing to follow CDC hygiene practices.