Emergency Guidelines for Active Threats
If it is possible to do so, safely, exit the building immediately when you become aware of a threatening incident, moving away from the immediate path of danger, and take the following steps:
- Notify anyone you may encounter to exit the building immediately.
- Evacuate to a safe area away from the danger, and take protective cover. Stay there until assistance arrives.
- Call 9-1-1 and the Ursinus Campus Safety Department at 610-409-3333 providing each dispatcher with the following information:
- Your name
- Location of the incident (be as specific as possible)
- Number of persons who may be involved
- Your exact location
- Injuries to anyone, if known
- Text-to-9-1-1 is also available in Collegeville, Montgomery County if unable to call
- If you are directly involved in an incident and exiting the building is not possible, the following actions are recommended:
- Go to the nearest room or office.
- Close and lock the door.
- Turn off the lights
- Seek protective cover.
- Keep quiet and act as if no one is in the room.
- Do not answer the door.
- Wait for local police or emergency personnel to assist you out of the building.
The Ursinus Emergency Alert System
Ursinus College has augmented the existing emergency notification system with a text messaging service that will instantly and simultaneously distribute brief messages in situations posing imminent physical threats to the college community. Registered users can choose how they wish to be contacted which include text message, e-mail, smart phone app, and voice phone calls.