UCARE- Ursinus Center for Advocacy, Responsibilty and Engagement
The Ursinus Center for Advocacy, Responsibility, and Engagement (UCARE) serves as the focal point for community service and civic engagement at Ursinus College. UCARE’s goal is to expose students from all walks of life to the needs of their communities. In the process, students begin to make connections between their classroom experiences and their society. UCARE inspires the belief that positive change can be made in our world, and helps students make that change happen.
- Inspire thoughtful and positive civic involvement of all students
- Through disseminating civic engagement and service opportunities via our office, weekly newsletter, website and emails
- Empower students to think critically and become agents of change
- Through experiential learning opportunities (civic engagement courses, community based learning practicum and community based research projects)
- Promote community partnerships through developing new relationships with outside organizations
- Through weekly service opportunities and our semi-annual Community Week
- Ursinus is a member of Project Pericles, a national organization of colleges and universities committed to make socially responsible and participatory citizenship an essential part of our educational program—in the classroom, on the campus, and in the community.
- Ursinus is a partner with the Corella and Bertram F. Bonner Foundation, a philanthropic organization dedicated to improving the lives of individuals and communities by helping meet the basic needs of nutrition and educational opportunity. The Bonner Program is designed to heighten the overall education students and members receive by asking them to engage in ongoing service work and helping them develop the experience, skills, knowledge, and values necessary to make that work meaningful and lasting.
- Early education and after-school programs include Head Start, ACLAMO (Acción Comunal Latinoamericana de Montgomery County), and America Reads. In these programs Ursinus students tutor local elementary-age students.
- Food and shelter assistance programs include Catholic Social Services, MANNA on Main, and Wismer on Wheels. Ursinus students can get involved in providing basic needs, such as meals, to local people.
- Community education programs include an ESL Program on Ursinus’ campus for Spanish-speaking employees, Montgomery County Correctional Facility GED Tutoring, Gateway Employment Resources, and Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. As they invest in their own education, Ursinus students serve local adults and support them through life changes.
- Environmental and animal welfare programs include Francisvale Home for Smaller Animals, Ursinus College Organic Farm, and Urban Tree Connection. Ursinus students with an interest in environmentalism or animal rights concentrate their efforts on improving the health of the environment and the animal life within it.
- Health-related programs exist at the Parkhouse Geriatric Center, Volunteer Hospice Program, and St. Christopher’s Children’s Hospital in Philadelphia. Working with people from all walks of life, Ursinus students focus on health and well-being in their communities.
- Senior citizen programs can be found at Columbia Cottage Nursing Home and the Phoenixville Senior Center. In these programs Ursinus students interact with a population from generations before them.
- One-time service events on campus include Community Week, Relay for Life, Helping Hands Across America, UCARE’s Giving Tree, Japan/Haiti Relief Efforts, Knit-a-Square, and Red Cross Blood Drives. Whether Ursinus students want to be involved in year-long service projects, or if they want to serve for a shorter time, UCARE offers opportunities for everyone to give back.
To read more about the programs offered through UCARE, visit its website.
Location and Hours:
UCARE’s office is located in the lower section of Wismer Lower and is open Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. To contact UCARE, email email@example.com or call 610.409.3093.