September 27th, 2017
The United States is often referred to as Melting Pot welcoming, people from varying cultures, nationalities and backgrounds. This “Melting Pot” can sometimes seem full of white and black ingredients. Join the IIE as we discuss the silencing of non-European-American/non-African-Americans and provide a voice for those who may feel invisible.
Ursinus College’s inclusion and equity commitment is a hallmark of our community.
We are compassionate and respectful of every member of our community, one that is and will continue to be guided by the principles of diversity, inclusion and mutual respect.
We are a community in which all of its members feel affirmed, respected, welcomed and safe.
It is the combined strength of the abilities, cultures/ethnicities, experiences, genders, religions, and talents that each of us brings to Ursinus College that are the cornerstones of our inclusive campus.
As a central space for all students from equity-seeking groups, the IIE coordinates dialogue, programming, and activities around issues of equity, diversity, and social justice. The Institute thus supports the larger mission of the college, preparing students for leadership in an increasingly complex, diverse and interdependent world.
What We Do
- Offer space for social gatherings and media viewings as well as for dialogues on matters of current intellectual, social, and political interest
- Collaborate with other student support networks including the Institute for Student Success and the W.R. Crigler Institute, to help all students make the most of their Ursinus education
- Provide a forum for open discussion of the four questions that structure the college’s core curriculum, with attention to their relevance for issues of equity and inclusion
- Advise organizations serving underrepresented student groups on campus
- Support educational and cultural programming for the broader campus community
- Build collaborative relationships with alumni/ae
- Help students connect with fellow students at peer institutions
- Offer a warm, welcoming environment in which every member of the Ursinus community, regardless of background, can thrive