Innovation and Discovery Center
The state-of-the-art Innovation and Discovery Center presents one of the most ambitious projects in Ursinus’s history, physically connecting Thomas and Pfahler Halls and symbolizing a new era for science education at the college.
The Innovation and Discovery Center (IDC) will add approximately 42,500 square feet of usable space that will benefit students and faculty in the pursuit of knowledge. The facility will support the unique multidisciplinary nature of a liberal arts education by integrating previously separate subject matters, spaces and people with the aim of strengthening the foundations of science education at the college and while placing a particular emphasis on student research.
The IDC will address a number of priorities articulated by faculty, students and best-practices research. Such points include the notions that:
- Diverse approaches to teaching and learning demand flexible teaching spaces.
- An increased focus on research requires a subsequent increase in our student research capacity.
- It is absolutely necessary for our pre-health students to have a solid and well-rounded foundation in the sciences.
- Fostering creative thinking and innovative approaches is imperative to science learning.
- Collaboration is a crucial element in learning and doing science.
To target these points, the IDC will offer advanced functionality through “smart” classrooms, flexible laboratories that are easily configurable and open meeting and work spaces that foster collaboration between students and faculty from every discipline. The resulting knowledge creation is novel, broadly based and forward thinking, with the potential to shape future leaders and decision-makers for our world.
Please join Ursinus in realizing the vision of the Innovation and Discovery Center by making a contribution in support of this $29 million construction project.
Learn more about how our Keep the Promise campaign will support the Innovation and Discovery Center.